April Faves

Friday 4 May 2018

Another month, another batch of favourites

Civilization VI: Rise and Fall
Okay, so this game is probably my all time favourite game now (sorry, Pokemon Sun!), and I know I mentioned it in my last favourites, but I got some DLC for it in April. Rise and Fall is the latest DLC and also the first expansion pack for the game and it completely changes how you play. I personally really enjoy the change; it makes playing tall (having fewer, more powerful cities) easier as playing wide (having more, less powerful cities) decreases your loyalty to the capital and creates more problems for yourself. I've yet to properly master playing wide, so I've been favouring the Rise and Fall rules over those of the standard game. Plus Rise and Fall comes with loads of new civs to play as so I'm working my way through all of those.

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
This was easily my favourite read of the month and I'm so glad I decided to give it the chance. In the past I've never got on with Neil Gaiman's writing style, but there's something about it that really works with the myths - it's just that right amount of meanderingly whimsical, I guess. The stories and the gods more than made up for any problems I had, and I more than once found myself eagerly turning pages just to get to the next myth. I did already know the majority of the ones featured in this book, but that didn't make it any less enjoyable for me and I adored revisiting them.

The Frankenstein Chronicles
One anxiety filled, sleepless night before lectures found me scouring all my streaming services for a new show to watch, and so The Frankenstein Chronicles entered my life. At just six episodes long, the first season can easily be finished in one sitting (although it took me two - curse you 9AM lectures for requiring sleep the night before) and it's so dark and gripping you won't want to stop. A tad confusing at times, purely because all the men look the same and have similar names, this Victorian take on a real-life Victor Frankenstein is perfect if you want a detective series that'll keep you on your toes.

The Killing
And if you want another detective series that'll keep you on your toes I recommend the breathtakingly dreary The Killing. Set in a rainy Seattle and following the obsessive Detective Linden, this show is packed full of twists, turns, and red herrings. The first two seasons follow the Rosie Larsen case so it's best to watch them back to back, and trust me when I say you won't be able to peel yourself away from Netflix. My mum and I actually spent around ten hours one day just watching season one and we kept pestering each other to finally sit down and finish every single episode, it's that good. And even when we'd both googled copious amounts of spoilers we were still taken aback by the reveals and kept questioning how all the pieces fit together. A must watch for fans of gritty crime.

What did you love in April?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a thought or an opinion? I'd love to hear it.

design by amanda inez