Book Review: Red She-Hulk: Route 616 by Jeff Parker

Friday 28 November 2014

Red She-Hulk: Route 616
Jeff Parker, Wellington Alves, and Carlo Pagulayan
Genre(s): Graphic Novels, Comics, Superheroes
Published: October 8th 2013
Pages: 120
Rating: 2 stars

Red She-Hulk is S.H.I.E.L.D.'s most wanted, and Machine Man has joined her on a deadly chase across the Marvel Universe! But Jennifer Walters, the original She-Hulk, is hot on their trail! Red She-Hulk goes deep underground to find the secrets of the ancient order of the Shield - but there's a new ruler of the world below, and he may never let her leave! As Jen Walters strikes a deal with the military, Red She-Hulk discovers that others have also taken the path before her. Others named Dr. Doom, the Red Skull, Ultron and Loki! Is Red destined to become a villain as well, or can she prevail in her race against time?

I wasn't a fan of Red She-Hulk in volume one, Hell Hath No Fury, and Route 616 hasn't really changed much. 

I decided to give it a chance though, in the hopes that it would open my eyes and enlighten me to the way of Marvel's many Hulks, but alas - I still don't think they're for me.

The artwork was once again crisp, clear, and engaging, but I still found myself lacking the knowledge - and general interest - to fully appreciate the whole story. It wastes no time in getting into things, and from the start I was confused. Whether that's just a Marvel trademark, I don't know (because I've found quite a few of their comics to be tricky to understand, even when I've enjoyed them). For a volume in the Marvel Now! collection I found this very disappointing.

Probably only read this if you've read a lot about the Hulks before hand, or are a long-term Marvel fan. For a relative beginner, this was a bit much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a thought or an opinion? I'd love to hear it.

design by amanda inez