Book Review: Come Close by Sappho

Thursday 30 July 2015

Come Close
Sappho
Genre(s):  Classics, Poetry
Published: February 26th 2015
Pages: 64
Rating: 2.5 stars

Lyrical, powerful poems about love, sexuality, sun-soaked Greece and the gods. 


I've never been a fan of poetry, so it's a wonder what possessed me to pick up this little black classic. 

I'm greatly interested in Greek myths, and my interest has started to inch towards the literature, only to come galloping back when I look at the work. This little collection of poems is a very easy introduction Sappho's work, with numerous poems from several different topics. Some, I found confusing, and some I didn't enjoy. However, I did find a few little gems in here that I could wrap my head around and really liked.

I wouldn't say it's converted me into loving poetry - at least not ancient poetry - because nine times out of ten I had a frown on my face as I tried to work out the meaning on things.

Maybe I'm just uncultured and not well-read, or maybe Sappho is just inaccessible. For 80p, though, I don't regret it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a thought or an opinion? I'd love to hear it.

design by amanda inez