June Wrap Up/July TBR

Friday 30 June 2017

 June saw the end of exams (and me deviating entirely from the TBR I set last month) so hopefully July will be the month for reading

The Dark Prophecy by Rick Riordan
This was a promising start to the month. I wanted something quick, easy, and that I knew I'd like. And The Dark Prophecy is all three. Okay, it wasn't brilliant by any means, and I disliked one of the main characters, and I'm definitely getting too old to fully appreciate Riordan's books, but this was fun. And a very pleasant break from exams.

Wonder by R.J. Palacio
Wonder I found to be quite boring, but nevertheless I liked it. Again, a little too young for me, but it was another easy read for exam season and I could appreciate the message it gave out. However, I do think that things were a bit too easy for Auggie, given his condition, but for its intended child audience I got why. I'm glad I finally gave this a go.

Heartless by Marissa Meyer
And this is where the disappointment kicks in. I have a full review up on Goodreads, but basically I found this to be incredibly dull and I couldn't stand the main character or the setting. If you love Alice in Wonderland then definitely give this a chance! But if - like me - you're still hung up on The Lunar Chronicles and looking for more like that, avoid this.

Areh by Jeffrey Kinsey
I have a full review for this coming on Monday, so I won't say too much about this. What I will say, however, is that this is probably one of the most unique books I've ever read and I really do not know how to categorise it. It's something of an urban fantasy, mixed with the oppressive system of a dystopian, and the art of a comic. You'll just have to read it for yourself to find out more.


July will hopefully be the month that I get through a good chunk of the books I've been sent to review. I have a few physical copies and a whole host of eBooks waiting for me on my iPad (which cannot hold its charge any more, so getting through those will be fun) so it'd be great if I could bring it down to a more manageable number. But if I don't, I at least hope I'll get a lot of reading done because god do I need to unwind after exams.

What did you read in June? What do you plan on reading in July?

14 comments:

  1. Aw I'm sorry you didn't love Wonder :(( I thought it was fantastic! Will you see the movie when it comes out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea that there's a movie coming out! Don't think I'll be going to see it though as it was just okay for me whilst reading.

      Delete
  2. Seems like a so-so month, hopefully you'll read something more than 3 stars next month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean I class 3 stars as a positive rating but none of these reads really stood out to me, you know? Really hoping that changes in July!

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry to hear that you weren't a fan of heartless! I've been looking forward to reading it, but then again – I've only read one of the Lunar Chronicles books, and can't remember what went down. Maybe lessened expectations might make it seem better for me?

    Fleur @ Fleur Henley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lunar Chronicles is so much more action packed and thrilling than Heartless, but I'll admit it took me a while to get into it and I wasn't a big fan of Cinder when I first read it! I'd definitely say go in not expecting much as then you could be pleasantly surprised if you love it.

      Delete
  4. I really wanted Heartless to be good :( I've heard a few bad things about it now so that's very annoying. I'll push it down the TBR for now :P Suicide stick looks really interesting, I'm going to have to look into that some more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love Alice in Wonderland I think you'll get on fine with it! But I don't, haha. And it really does look interesting! I think of my ebooks that'll be the one I read first, as I'm kind of in the mood for short stories.

      Delete
  5. Shame about Heartless, I'm kind of the same. I read it because I was loving the Lunar Chronicles so I was a little disappointed that I didn't love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could have been so good as all her other characters are so badass!

      Delete
  6. I haven't read any of those - Heartless has been on my radar for a while though because I've seen so many people raving about it. I'll have to read it one day and see what I think! I read SO much in June - I was rolling through my TBR that I can't even remember how many I read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely say form your own opinion on Heartless, as you could be one of those people who loves it! Even though I didn't like it I'm glad I read it and gave Marissa Meyer's fantasy a chance. Woo hoo - et's hope July is just as good for you!

      Delete
  7. Oh god Heartless was so disappointing, right? I can't even remember what I rated it...3 stars maybe? Definitely more than I would give it now if I were to re-rate it. I couldn't stand Cath! She was so so annoying. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely. I was seriously going to 1 star this but gave it 2 in the end as the writing WAS good. Good enough to get through such a boring story with such annoying characters, at least!

      Delete

Got a thought or an opinion? I'd love to hear it.

design by amanda inez