May Wrap Up/June TBR

Friday 2 June 2017


 May brought the start of exam season, but it didn't bring much reading

The Wicked + The Divine vol. 1: The Faust Act by Kieron Gillen
Of the few books I read this month, this was definitely the best. It was fun, quick, and had gorgeous artwork. However, I didn't think it was anything special and have definitely read better graphic novels. As a first volume it was quite confusing and I felt like things could have been explained better. Still enjoyable, though.

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
And then we have the book that has ruined reading for me at the current time. I ordered A Court of Wings and Ruin the day before it was released and picked this up in order to marathon the trilogy. I was excited. I was so ready to finally join in with the excited discussion surrounding these books. I was severely disappointed. I have a full review on Goodreads that will eventually be posted on my blog, so for now I'll leave you with a rounded up rating.

The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
After the disaster that was ACOTAR I decided I wanted some fantasy that I'd actually enjoy to stop me from completely going off the genre. Except I made another bad choice in picking up The Wrath and the Dawn. Again, I was very disappointed in what it had to offer and have a full review waiting on Goodreads.

Uncanny X-Force vol. 1: Let it Bleed by Sam Humphries
This was one of those Marvel comics I picked up knowing next to nothing about the central characters. And boy do I wish I'd started somewhere else than this volume. It wasn't bad, per se, it was just incredibly confusing to me and would perhaps be enjoyed more by those who understand Psylocke, Spiral, Bishop, and Fantomex.


June is even busier than May in terms of exams, so I'm really not sure how much reading I'll get done. Maybe a few graphic novels, little black classics, or short books? I don't know. Ideally, I'd like to start making a dent in all the review copies I have, but I don't know if I'll a) have the time, or b) have the will to write decent reviews. So this is a very tentative TBR that I most likely won't stick to as I can see myself spending more time on Netflix than with my head in a book.

What did you read in May? What do you plan on reading in June?

4 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't enjoy ACOTAR or The Wrath and the Dawn all that much. Overhyped books, man. I've never read The Wrath and the Dawn, but I really wanted to, but I have a friend who thinks it's really boring and not great :/ I hope June brings you less disappointing reads!

    ~ Lefty @ The Left-Handed Book Lover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your friend is 100% correct :/ I've heard no end about the beautiful writing in it too and I'm like... where?

      Delete
  2. Oh dear! Looks like you just couldn't seem to find something to click with in May - hopefully you'll find better reads in June :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! Just gotta get exams out the way and then I'm free to read everything :D

      Delete

Got a thought or an opinion? I'd love to hear it.

design by amanda inez