TBR Feature #58

Wednesday 14 June 2017

TBR Feature is the chance for me to, every Wednesday, pick one of my unread books and discuss it: why I picked it up, when I'll get round to reading it, if I'm still interested in it at all etc.

A Quiet Kind of Thunder by Sara Barnard

This is another one of those books that's incredibly popular on Twitter right now. I've heard nothing but good about it but still haven't read it for myself to find out what all the fuss is about. (Although in my defence, it wasn't all that long ago that I got a copy. Okay, January was five months ago, but that's not the point.)

Although this is a contemporary and quite heavy on the romance, from what I've heard, it also deals with mental health. The main character, Steffi, is a selective mute and suffers from social anxiety. While I am not a selective mute myself, I know what it's like to have anxiety and so try to seek out any and all books featuring it, hence why I find myself owning this despite being a self-proclaimed romance hater.

From reading reviews, though, it seems A Quiet Kind of Thunder handles things really well and the anxiety representation is good. Of course, I'll see for myself when I pick it up, but it makes me hopeful that there are people out there who get it and are willing to understand. I just hope the love story doesn't make me cringe too much.

Have you read A Quiet Kind of Thunder?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a thought or an opinion? I'd love to hear it.

design by amanda inez